SPICE (Shared Pool of Integrated Computing Environments) is, in essence, a linux virtual machine farm, NFS Storage, and RSYNC Storage that is intended to be an efficient, manageable, and cost-effective replacement for standalone servers and moderate computational workloads.
SPICE offerings are comprised of:
- NFS Storage (live storage) e.g. home directories
- RSYNC Storage (Mirror space for disaster recovery)
- Virtual Machines (one, two, or four core configurations)
Note: Virtual machines are not meant to be heavy computational workhorses. Typical usage is login environments, web servers, or application servers. For heavy computation, consider our shared computing clusters, or a condo on one of the clusters.
We offer the following Virtual Machine support levels:
- Full admin: An IT Systems Administrator takes full responsibility for systems administration of the VM.
- Customer admin: IT assumes no responsibility for stability of the operating system. We will answer questions in a best effort mode, but the most we can commit to is to wipe and reload a broken machine with a fresh install if something goes wrong.
SPICE is being retired and no new customers are being permitted. Current constituents should contact the Help Desk if they would like to initiate discussions about their options.